- Rates of cohabitation are at an all time high.
- Since 1960, the number of cohabiting couples in the US has increased by 1,500%.
- Today, over 60% of all marriages in the US are preceded by some form of cohabitation.
- This is concerning because:
- Cohabitating relationships are much less durable than marriage relationships.
- Cohabitating relationships have the highest rates of domestic violence: 250% higher than the rate for married couples.
- The poverty rate for children of cohabitating parents is 500% greater than for children of married children.